Q: TPS sensor calibration or replacement.

I need to have my TPS sensor calibrated and troubleshooted to see if I need a new sensor. The car accelerates on its own and the RPMs go up and down.

A: The TPS will need to have a voltage reading...

The TPS will need to have a voltage reading of .5 volts with the throttle closed and key on engine off. This can be done with either a voltmeter set to DC voltage or a scan tool capable of reading the throttle sensor output voltage at the engine computer. If the sensor voltage does not read near .5 volt specification then the mounting bolts for the sensor need to be loosened and the sensor rotated until the .5 volt measurement is attained and the then the mounting bolts tightened. My advice is to have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to set the throttle sensor and test it throughout its sweep to ensure the sensor is properly set to the .5 volts at idle and ensure the sensor is not faulty. An improperly set throttle position sensor can cause the symptoms you have described.