Q: Will a bad wheel bearing cause a transmission not shift into overdrive

I was told wheel bearing is bad. i took wheel off and saw the axel nut was loose. i replaced it with a new one and tightened it up. the escape still won't shift into past 2nd. The engine sounds like it's revving high but it only revs between 3 and 4000 rpms. it won't move over 40 mph. when I turn the wheel it makes a also makes a light grinding or rubbing noise when moving..seems like its stuck in limp mode..any ideas?

A: Hi there. Yes, a bad wheel bearing can impa...

Hi there. Yes, a bad wheel bearing can impact the complete operation of your vehicle. When a wheel bearing goes bad, it is due to a lack of lubrication inside the bearing. This creates metal-to-metal contact, increased friction, and can create problems with the vehicle's drive train (including the transmission) if not replaced correctly. Since you're hearing the grinding noise, this is an indication that it is past the point of going bad and the wheel bearing should be replaced as soon as possible. To have this inspected, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose your shifting issue and advise you on a repair.