Q: TJ did an inspection on a 2008 Land Rover LR2 @Cars of Tampa Inc. How soon would some of the 'good' things need 2b worked on?

asked by on April 28, 2017

TJ did a Car Gurus inspection on this vehicle back in December 2016: SALFP24N68H052553. He gave it an 84 for very good condition, but I noticed some comments listed as good for CV axle leak, front crank seal leak, steering gear leak, driver side cv axle worn out, cv joints leaking grease. I am preparing to fly in from Alabama to purchase this vehicle and drive it back...a little over 400 miles. Should I make this purchase or am I in for a financial nightmare of repairs if I buy it? He gave it a good scoring but how long can the car go without addressing these issues? Thank you so much...Cassandra

Hi Cassandra: I will try to help you. For safety reasons, the steering gear leak should be repaired first. After that the priority would be the replacement of the axles and then repair of the crankshaft seal leak. Technically, you can put off the repairs until the parts "break". If the steering gear leak is power steering fluid you can just keep adding fluid. The risks though are power steering fluid will burn if it hits an exhaust manifold, if the axles break while underway that can damage other parts and/or cause loss of control. The oil leak can cause damage to other parts, particularly any rubber motor mount that may be in the vicinity of the leak. Also, with crank seal leaks, you have to monitor the engine oil level more often and, of course, oil drips off the vehicle onto your driveway making a mess. Basically, all of the items you are describing are pretty high up in the "repair priority" list when it comes to motor vehicles, in other words it is all important stuff. As far as cost, if you request repairs on a mobile basis it will be affordable and you can spread the repairs over a couple months if need be. If buying the car and electing to commence the repairs, if you are starting with the steering leak, please use YourMechanic’s steering system leak diagnostic service page to get the process started. In fact, during that visit, the mechanic can estimate the other items for you as well so that you know exactly what is going on. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.