Q: After a bout of wet weather, the climate control buttons in my car will not work.

After a long period of rain, the climate control buttons in my car will not work. The buttons will blink green when pressed. The dial for the front blower will not work either. I can't tell if the AC compressor clutch kicks in when I press the AC button. I can feel the vents cool when the AC button is blinking but little to no air comes out even with the blower dial set at high. I can feel the vents warm when I increase the temperature dial, but again, little to no air comes out. The rear blower works fine. I checked fuses in both the interior (driver's side) and under the hood, and they are fine. I do not know how to check the relays. I do not garage my car. I leave my car at the train station in the morning for my commute. The climate control buttons work while driving in the rain. This problem appears to happen after my car has sat several hours (10-12) in the rain. After a day of dry weather, everything is working again.

Hey there. Blinking lights indicates there is a code stored. This is good news because it will help diagnose the problem. If all the lights blink, then the climate control unit will need to be put into self diagnostic mode. A technician grade scanner can often retrieve these codes as well, but there is a procedure to retrieve the codes.

If only the A/C light is flashing, then this indicates your A/C system is low on refrigerant. At least it thinks it is. Either way, you need to have the A/C system serviced to know for sure.

Everything you have stated points toward the need for using the self diagnostic, but the self diagnostic could be needed because the blower motor has failed and the system has detected this. It may be a good idea to test it. This will require a wiring diagram, a test light and knowledge of electricity. Either way, you need access to quality information in the form of computer access or a repair manual. If you should need further help, I recommend having the AC system diagnosed by a professional to verify the correct repairs that need to be done.

3. After a bout of wet weather, the climate control buttons in my car will not work.