Q: My car feels as if I am driving it in neutral but I'm not.. my RPM will go up but I cant accel over 20mph. Only happens sometimes

My "overdrive on" button just started randomly flashing and it feels as if they car is shifting into and out of over drive occasionally on its own while I am driving. It sounds like I'm hitting the gas pedal but I can't move and then it will jolt forward and go along normally and then do it again. It happened last week and then it didn't happen and now it is happening again. I'm thinking maybe I need to get a transmission fluid change? Please help!!!

A: Hi there. This may be a sign of a faulty tr...

Hi there. This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid or simply low transmission fluid. Modern automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car's computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. A qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the shifting issue and determine what needs repair.