Q: Advice on fixing transmission on a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo and the transmission is blowing. I'm getting prices around 1700 for a rebuilt. Is that a normal price?

A: Yes it is. But, you’d want to make sure you...

Yes it is. But, you’d want to make sure you are using somebody who knows what they are actually doing. So many people promise the Moon, and when you get it back and it doesn’t shift right they say, "drive it for a couple of months and see what happens." When you bring it back they say "Oh, it’s out of warranty now, go away." If you really want it fixed correctly, you are best getting the factory rebuilt unit. They aren’t rebuilding the factory, they rebuilt it somewhere but not the Isuzu factory. Those are generally top notch.

I would advise doing that rather than having some guy taking it apart and trying to rebuild it. Because, in my experience, they don’t do a very good job. From what I’ve read nationally, 33% of rebuilds are done incorrectly. So you are taking a chance there. Buying a ready remanufactured engine unit that is tested in the factory is a much better idea if you want to keep the vehicle.