Q: Steering wheel stiff when parking

Hi,

The steering wheel is really hard to turn when I'm trying to park. (reverse or forward). I don't have problem when I'm driving. I went to Auto repair shop for this matter. I got two new tires with alignment. However, it didn't solve the problem. I also did fluid flush, and it seemed working for a while, then same again.

didn't find any leakage form reservoir either.

Last winter, my friend helped my car out of the snow. While doing that the RPM's got high, and power steering fluid level went below way much. I think from around that time, this steering wheel became stiff. Please give me any advise on this.

Thank you.

A: Hey there. The two main components for your...

Hey there. The two main components for your power steering system are the steering pump and the rack & pinion steering unit. If the power steering pump was run low on fluid for a period of time, it may have excessive wear or damage to it’s internal components like pressure valves, etc.

If the pump is not providing enough pressure, then the steering can be hard to turn at low speeds. The steering will always be easier to turn when the vehicle is at speed. Also, if the fluid level was low for some time, the steering unit itself may have suffered some damage. For a problem like this, I recommend having a certified technician diagnose your power steering system to find the correct cause.