Q: Car switched off but did not start when I tried to restart

asked by on November 08, 2016

Boosted battery but car did not start, recharged battery still no start. Found engine would not rotate foward, Had to rotate the engine counter clockwise to get it to free up, turned key and car fired up right away. No codes displayed on the dash car ran fine no issues for 2 days and same issue returned was told it was battery, replaced battery and had to follow the same procedure to start the car, Car is now running not codes noises at all car runs like new. Is there an issue I am unaware of?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. First of all, rotating the engine counterclockwise could very well cause the engine to "jump time", and cause engine damage. The timing chain tensioner is not designed for this pressure, and can allow the timing chain to jump one or more cogs on the camshaft. The fact that a counterclockwise rotation seems to free up "something" and allow the engine to start, suggests that the starter drive (the gear portion of the starter motor) is jamming with the flywheel teeth.

The starter should be removed and the gear drive examined for possible replacement. It is also possible the flywheel is damaged and must be replaced as well. I would recommend having an expert diagnose the no start in person so that the correct repair can be made.