Q: crack in theromstat housing

Antifrese was leaking around the Theromstat housing. Removed the top of the housing and removed the thermostat when I found a crack on one side of the plastic housing. It looks like the housing extends to the other side of the engine. Do I have to replace the whole housing or can the crack be repaired. What would a replacement housing cost and if I repair the crack, what should I use?

Hi there. This is a common problem on this engine. If the housing is cracked then the entire intake manifold needs to be replaced as an assembly. There is no repair that will ensure that it will not leak any longer as it will continue to get worse. Before replacing the manifold though I do a block test and a pressure test to make sure that there are not any other leaks or issues with the engine. Depending on what it ends up needing will determine the cost of the repair. If you need to have this coolant leak in your intake manifold repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the coolant leak.