Q: My car sounds like it has a bad wheel bearing with a loud banging sound coming from the back area.

I thought maybe my car has a bad wheel bearing, because of the sound. I was told it was a bad tire, replaced the back tire. I drove maybe 3 miles, car started having a banging sound from the back area. Can you tell me, what you might think what might be the problem?

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The noise could be a loose spare tire or something in the trunk bouncing around. If not, then there could be a lubrication failure in the differential or a loose axle mount.

It also could be a worn or damaged wheel bearing, as it would be under the most load at those times. Raise up the rear of the vehicle with the front tires chocked and check the rear wheel by spinning them and listening for any noises.

If you need assistance in finding the source of the sound, then seek out a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the sound and perform a wheel bearing replacement if necessary.