Q: 2002 jaguar x type shifts hard in lower gears until gearbox fault light comes on and then seems to shift normally

asked by on October 14, 2017

I’m looking to buy a 2002 jaguar x type. I test drove it and it shifts really hard in the lower range gears. After driving it for a bit, the gear box fault light comes on and then the car drives fine. I think it might be a tcm issue with it getting wet. Does this sound right or am I looking at having to replace the transmission if I get this car? Thanks in advance!

The transmission has a defective sensor and when check engine light comes on the computer is ignoring bad sensor and will go into failure mode and may shift better. Have computer scanned and codes tested to isolate the faulty sensor.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr