Q: Engine knocking

asked by on February 11, 2016

My car engine is knocking.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Knocking in your engine, also described as pinging, can mean one of several problems. Some may be easily fixed while others may indicate major damage. The knocking sound often occurs when the fuel and air mixture is incorrect, which causes the fuel to burn in uneven pockets rather than uniform bursts. Left untreated, it can cause damage to the piston and cylinder wall. If the sound is a deep knock that is loud, it indicates that your rod bearings are worn out. Pretty soon, the bearings will fail, which means your car will likely leave you stranded. If you hear such a noise, I recommend having a technician come out and inspect the sound and determine if that is the problem.