Q: Water in the tail light which rusted sockets

asked by on June 14, 2016

There was water in my left tail light. When I took the water off, 4 error lights came on after turning on my car: left brake light, rear left light, rear left indicator, and rear left reversing light. After taking everything apart, I replaced the old bulbs with new ones… but ‘still’ have the ‘same problems.’ Checking all the faults, I have power in everything. I noticed that there was rust on some of the pieces that hold the bulbs and I’m assuming that is because the water was inside for so long a time. Do you think the rust is the reason the electric power is not reaching the bulb

Rear lights are not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Tail Lamp Bulb Replacement $82.13 - $121.19 Get a Quote

The warning lights for the bulbs are very sensitive, as they look for the proper resistance in the tail light and brake light bulbs. When water gets into the tail light housing like this, it generally means the tail light should be replaced. Water is an indication that there is a failure in the taillight housing somewhere. The rust buildup can cause excessive resistance, which prevents the bulbs from working properly and can ground the electrical connection out. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your rear lights and replace your bulbs if necessary.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr