I have a code 17748 camshaft pos. /crank shaft pos. Senso...

I have a code 17748 camshaft pos. /crank shaft pos. Sensor incorrect allocation what does this mean ...

I have a code 17748 camshaft pos. /crank shaft pos. Sensor incorrect allocation what does this mean

Automotive Expert
Hello, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and I will be right back with your answer, or I may need some additional information from you about your vehicle. The site will ask for a phone call not me so please disregard that thanks!

Ok thank you
Automotive Expert
That **code** means that the TDC mark that the crank sensor is picking up is not matching up with the TDC mark that the cam sensor is picking up. recheck your timing marks again. Most common is the timing belt if off and timing is incorrect. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. I am here to help you in anyway I possibly can. Please Stay Safe ! It was my pleasure helping you today .

Reply
Automotive Expert
Did you need further assistance?
Automotive Expert
I posted the answer for you what else can I help you with? Code 177748 That **code** means that the TDC mark that the crank sensor is picking up is not matching up with the TDC mark that the cam sensor is picking up. recheck your timing marks again.

How do you check the timing marks? And I also got a code p0349 camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor?
Automotive Expert
That's all from the timing belt either jumped ,broke or was installed wrong. What year and model is the Volkswagen?

It’s actually a 2005 Audi A6 4.2v8 and I haven’t ever took the car to get any timing belt installed
Automotive Expert
Ok could be a sensor as well. Let me post timing marks for you . Cam sensors cam cause this but usually caused by timing being off.

are you saying like the timing chain being off or the timing beltokay thanks
Automotive Expert
No this vehicle has a timing chain and these cam tensioners go bad and give you these codes . The entire timing chain will need to be replaced as well. This can run up to 5000 dollars depending what failed. Did the vehicle make any noises ?

Well when I rev the car it makes a loud rattle noice and while it’s idling there’s small notices like if it was a pulley or something
Automotive Expert
Nope that's the timing chain its loose do not drive the car . At this point unfortunately the damaged is done and you will need to replace the cam tensioner as well as the timing chain and all guides and see if there is any cam sprocket damage. Sorry for the bad news but this will be a very expensive repair.

Is there any way you can link me any of these parts of everthing just to check it out
Automotive Expert
[2000 4.2 V8 Audi A8L timing belt, cam chain tensioners, and engine revival - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-k0QhUYzs) For a 2000 but similar set up.

do I need to replace timing belt cam chain tensioner sand timing chain ?
Automotive Expert
Yes but wont know how much damage is actually done until its disassembled.

Is this what I need
Automotive Expert
but will need more parts depending what failed.