Q: How can I find the correct chassis wiring harness for my truck?

Hi,

My 98 K2500 pickup has some wiring issues. I actually described it in another question back in October, but that's when I was going to replace individual burnt wires. Now I just want to replace the whole chassis wiring harness. There are so many different part numbers and diagrams, I'm very confused. I need the wire cluster that goes along the inside of the frame rail, next to the gas tank, and goes to the fuel pump and the tail lights. The front connects to a few different spots under the hood and also into the dash, I believe. Can you give me a specific name or part number for this wire cluster? Thank you.

The harnesses are referred to in GM parts catalogs as "body wiring" and "rear lamp wiring". However, the correct wiring harness for your vehicle can only be found via a VIN number search in the catalog. It can’t be searched simply by "model" due to the large number of vehicle variants, for example RPO codes. There is no way to look up a harness part number without your VIN number so please send it. Unfortunately, many of the wiring harnesses, including many within the two "categories" you are inquiring about are discontinued by GM. Inasmuch as some are available it is still worth looking up and confirming whether you can get it or not, but you may be in a situation where you have to fabricate your own replacement harness which is not a big deal particularly if you have the old one available to use as a template. The biggest issue are the cable terminations but many of those may be standard and thus pigtails will be available. You could actually make a better (higher quality) harness than that originally used on the vehicle. Please let us know how we can assist you further.