Q: How do the seat belts work?

How do the seat belts work?

Seat belts, also called safety belts, are vital components for the safety of the driver and passengers alike. The purpose of the seat belts is simple. If the vehicle is in an accident, there are extreme forces involved trying to move the occupants of the vehicle. The seat belts hold occupants in place, spreading the force out over the torso. Holding the passengers in the front of the vehicle to their seats is important for proper use of airbags as well.

Tip

While it is common for people to be briefly stuck in their seats after an accident, that is no reason to neglect wearing a seat belt. It is often recommended that passengers not leave a vehicle in an accident if they have to, and they are much more likely to be able to walk and unbuckle a seat belt if they had one on during the wreck.