Q: The car is burning oil significantly

My car has been burning oil for several years now. In the beginning, it wasn't that bad, but it started to happen that I have to add oil every 1700 miles. Now, I have to add a quart of oil every 500 miles. I went to the dealership for this problem but it hasn't been solved. The car doesn't blow any smoke and it has no leaks either. As per the recommendation of another mechanic, I tried the oil blend and drove at higher RPMs but to no avail. I would like to know why this is happening. Is this serious? Is my engine going out?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 2004 BMW 330xi. Unfortunately, this is very common for a vehicle to burn more oil as the engine ages. One thing you can do to combat the oil consumption is to use high mileage or a synthetic oil if you haven’t been already. Worn piston rings are a common reason to why the oil will begin to burn more quickly. Have a compression test performed on the engine to get a better idea of the health condition of the piston rings. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the oil burning problem to see what can be done.