Q: Truck is running rough, loses power, backfiring noise - 1994 Nissan D21

Lately, my truck has started to run rough and seems as if it would shut off. After I had the fuel filter replaced, it was better for a while. However, the truck now can barely run, even more so when I try to increase the speed and the RPMs are higher. It seems to lose power and makes a backfiring noise. It also gets very bad gas mileage. What should I do?

Hey there. I would check fuel pump output and condition of fuel injectors (flow rate and solenoid resistance). After that, I would evaluate the ignition system, including distributor, plug wires, timing. If you would like to have this checked for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the loss of power symptoms and help get your car back in running shape.

3. Truck is running rough, loses power, backfiring noise - 1994 Nissan D21