Q: Ping noise and jerking when the car idles

I purchased this car new from a dealer. After about a month later, a "ping" sound started happening. It occurred a few times upon starting the car. Once it was so loud that I got concerned and took it to the dealer but they found nothing. The car would also start to jerk when it is idling, which was normal according to them. However, the noise is noticeable quite frequently. The car also continues to jerk occasionally, which happens more often now. What might be causing this? And, is it really normal like the dealers claim it to be?

My guess is that the noise you are hearing it the timing chain. These engines are well known for having problems with the timing chain, camshaft actuators, and solenoids. This problem first starts out as brief rattle noise upon start up. This can also result in engine performance problems, such as the ones you’re having. If the Check Engine Light is on, the first step is to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These codes serve as a starting point for any further diagnosis. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your rough idle and repair your Captiva.