Q: Grinding noise from the front end

My car starts making this grinding noise and lurches while I'm backing up. Something in the front end is making the noise. The problem is even worse when the wheels are turned either left or right. Also, it happens frequently when it's cold. However, when I'm driving backwards or forwards with the wheels straight, there is no noise. Do you have any idea what is making this noise?

Hello. It is possible that the axles are making the grinding noise that you are hearing. The axles have ball joints in them. If the grease wears out and the ball bearings are not lubricated they will rub metal to metal, you may hear a grinding sound and it is possible that the car will lurch forward. The lurching happens because it is harder for the wheels to turn when the axle seizes up. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the front end suspension and make a recommendation about the necessary repairs.

3. Q: Grinding noise from the front end