Q: Weak startup when the engine is warmed up - 2000 Toyota MR2

When I start the car after it's been sitting for a while and the engine is cold, I have no problems at all. It starts and runs great. However, If I drive it for a while and then stop it, the car would crank fine when I attempt to turn it on, but it would barely start. I have no other issues with it besides this weak startup when the engine is warmed up. What could be causing this?

Hey there. Heat causes electrical resistance to increase. Given the age of the vehicle, your ignition system might be "struggling." You should thoroughly evaluate the ignition system. If that checks out, check the fuel pump output and condition of the fuel injectors. You may also have electrical concerns since the injectors have coils in them. For example, you could have a combination of physically plugged injectors and electrical issues occurring at the same time. If you need to have this problem scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the hard start and follow through with needed repairs.