Q: Crank but not start

When I tried to change my fuel filter the other day it wasn't successful. After I tightened the filter and tried to start my car it would crank, but not start unless I pressed on the gas pedal. Then I tightened the bolt as much as possible and the same thing happened. Could there be air in my fuel filter lines that need to be bled out? Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for writing in about your 1990 Mercedes Benz E300. It sounds like the idle valve may be stuck closed and this could be why the engine only starts when the gas pedal is pressed. Due to the pressures generated by the fuel system for injector operation, fuel system air is generally quickly purged when the vehicle is first started.

The fuel system should be checked for leaks and the idle valve checked for free movement of the valve. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and equipment to access the fuel system and can diagnose and correct the no start issue for you.

3. Q: Crank but not start