Q: What has stopped working cvc axle or transmission

asked by on December 02, 2016

When turning to park there was a pop,and when backing out then going forward about thirty feet the car stopped moving. Is this axles or transmission. When put in gear you can hear a grinding but no forward motion. Please help. We had heard the popping when turning and were going to change axles already but this has happened and i want to make sure before I proceed. There was also a sweet smell every so often is that relevant.

Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $201.91 - $1059.58 Get a Quote
Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The popping noise on turning is typical of failed outboard CV axle joints. It is possible the joints did finally break, thus accounting for the lack of movement. If you jack up the front wheel (just one side at a time) when the car is in park the wheel will probably rotate if the joint is broken. If it does rotate, that’s a sure sign the axle is no longer "connected" to the wheel hub. It will be easy for a Mechanic to tell just on visual examination. Of course, it is possible to have transmission faults instead, or perhaps even in addition, but such cannot be determined without actually inspecting the car. Based on what you are describing, it certainly sounds like it is failed CV axle(s) though. If you desire that the CV axles be inspected and replaced, if failed, please schedule an inspection with YourMechanic at your convenience. As you probably know, they will come right to your location to perform the work. With regard to the odor, that is probably an antifreeze leak and that could be diagnosed in a cooling system leak inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr