Q: Engine died when I parked, as if it was turned off. It will turn over, but won't start. Could it be my MAF sensor?

asked by on November 06, 2016

When I got home from work, I backed around to park. When I put it in drive it died on me as if I cut off the engine. I tried 2 or 3 times to start it. It will turn over, but won't start. I thought it could be my knock sensor, cause that was the code it gave me when the check engine light came on, but people told me that it might be my MAF sensor, or spark plugs could be bad. What should I check first to see what's going on?

Hi there. First check the transmission position sensor to see if the wiring harness has a short to ground or the sensor is failing.

This sensor will cause the engine to shut off in the event that the computer sees the vehicle in motion and sees the transmission in the wrong drive position. This means that when you put the transmission in reverse and then back into drive, then computer may think that the transmission is still in reverse and driving forward.

Then check the MAF sensor for any issues with power loss. A MAF will also cause the engine to shut off at any time. Then I would check the plugs. It is rare but not likely for a plug to all of a sudden fail unless something else caused it to burn out or fail. And to keep the engine from running, all of the plugs would have to not work. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with an engine shutting off diagnosis. From there, they can move forward with repair.