Q: Clumping or bottoming out noise on hard bumps

asked by on May 30, 2017

Last week a bottoming out or clumping noise coming from the rear of vehicle, I'm assuming it could or can be the trailer arm bushings or track bar? What are your thoughts?

Hi there. It definitely sounds like the bushings you mentioned could be the cause of the noise. However, worn shocks/struts can create a similar feeling or noise if they are worn out and not providing the dampening force necessary to slow the suspension travel; thus the suspension will "bottom out" and create a noise. The shock/strut has oil valves, piston and base valves, that allow oil movement inside the shock at controlled rates to provide the dampening/slowdown of suspension travel. A weak/worn/broken shock/strut can exacerbate the condition leading up to bushing failure. Suspension bushings also allow some movement of the suspension components while providing dampening from sudden movements; when worn out or broken these allow excessive movement and/or noise. A good visual inspection of the bushings and suspension system should uncover which/how many of the bushings/parts are worn. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a clunk noise from the rear inspection [https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/clunking-noise-when-i-drive-over-bumps-inspection].