Q: My suv wont start. It shows DSC malfunction and 4x4 problems.

asked by on October 26, 2016

Where is the location for the dme main relay?

The DME relay is a dual relay that powers the fuel system. This relay is typically located in the fuse box located inside of the ECU compartment. There will be several locations in the vehicle that will house fuses and relays. Your owners manual may have more information on this.

A code failure with the DME relay may be related to the throttle control actuator. The fuse itself is rather large and would take a serious power surge to damage. If it is faulty, something is to blame.

The throttle control module regulates the throttle and keeps enough gas going into the engine to keep it from stalling. If it is not telling the pump to fuel the engine correctly, the vehicle will not start.

If you are having your vehicle scanned by a generic scan tool, the codes for other issues will come up more generic. Make sure you are using a BMW or equivalent scan tool. If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose your no start condition and help you fix it accordingly.