Q: Engine knocking is making me concerned

asked by on November 07, 2015

My 2011 Nissan Versa has developed an intermittent knock to the engine. I am pretty sure the engine is toast, but the problem isn’t consistent enough to bring it to a shop. It has a continuously variable transmission, so I guess that could be it also. Either way, car only has 21,000 miles on it. This issue doesn’t really affect performance. Should I get this properly diagnosed?

If the noise is coming from your engine or transmission, it should be diagnosed as soon as possible and you should limit driving until you have it checked. You could contact YourMechanic to come to you and give a thorough diagnostic check. It may be something simple, like an exhaust rattle that sounds like it is coming from the engine or transmission. Other owners have had more serious internal engine knocking problems and have had the lower part of the engine replaced by the dealer. There is no technical bulletin or recall for the issue. I recommend contacting a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the knock before you pursue any repairs.