Q: Why would my 4x4 high and low light flash three times when start up and driving in my 2002 Ford Explorer

asked by on March 25, 2017

For a year and a half the 4x4 high and low has been flashing 3 times when starting the car and driving. 4x4 has not worked since the lights came on. usually taking the negative cable of battery resets it and i have 4x4 but lights will come back. My mechanic went under and found a loose ground. It fixed it for a day then it the lights started flashing again. Mechanic has no clue what to do next everything works fine. the transmission and transfer case were replaced 20,000 miles ago new.

Hello. Most of the time when this is occurring it is due to an electrical issue with the 4X4 system. I usually remove all of the connections at the transfer case and clean them and add dielectric grease. That may solve the issue. If it continues then I would diagnose the electrical system, but most of the time the issue is the encoder motor itself on the transfer case. That will more than likely need to be replaced. You should have an electrical specialist take a look at this.