Q: The Mercedes service advisor recommend replacing the rotors when they replace the brake pads.

asked by on August 22, 2016

Is it common to replace rotors every time pads are replaced? There is no shimmy when I stop or any indication that the rotors are warped. I know the rotors can't be turned because of their composition. Is this just a ploy to make more sales?

The dealer would like to change the rotors to help prevent any come backs due to bad brake performance, vibrations, etc. It is not always necessary to replace the rotors, but if there is damage to them, like deep scoring, overheating, warpage, etc., they will need to be replaced to ensure that the new brakes work properly. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to check your system and replace the brake pads and/or rotors as necessary.