Q: 1973 Jeep CJ-5 304 V-8. Vehicle starts right away but dies as soon as the key is released to "run" position.

My 1973 jeep starts immediately but dies as soon as the key is released to the "run" position. This cycle continues for 10-20 tries before the vehicle runs normally. During the process, I can get backfires that I attributed to the unburnt fuel that accumulates during the 10-20 tries to stay running? Battery is new and cranks fine...alternator is new (there's a small condenser looking thing that was on the old alternator but not on the new one, I didn't replace it on the new one). Coil is new also. The distributor has been replaced with an electronic version...cap an rotor look fine and clean. I know I have a "rich" issue with the carburetor which I will address once I get the vehicle running. Something seems to be cutting of the spark as soon as the key is released...there is no ignition module on this old jeep, could it be the ignition on the dash?

Hi there. I would assume that your problem is related to the ignition cylinder on the dash. It’s possible that either the ignition is damaged, or perhaps a ground wire behind the dash is loose. You should be able to access this area through the firewall on the old CJ5.

3. 1973 Jeep CJ-5 304 V-8. Vehicle starts right away but dies as soon as the key is released to "run" position.