Q: Car has smoke damage

asked by on February 01, 2016

My car has smoke damage. What should I do?

Whether we are dealing with the interior being damaged with cigarette smoke or if the Mustang you are driving was subject to another form of fire, I would highly recommend locating a specialist that can deal with smoke damage. If the problem is cigarette smoke in the interior, the interior will need to be thoroughly cleaned. This involves shampooing the carpets and seats and deep cleaning the headliner and plastic trim pieces of the interior.

The process is finished off with an odor bomb which is similar to a bug bomb. The odor bomb is opened and sits in the middle of the vehicle with the cabin of the vehicle sealed up for up to 5 hours. The smoke or mist that the bomb emits will attack the smoke bacteria and break it down to eliminate any residue presence in those hard to reach areas.

If your Mustang was subject to smoke from a house fire or something similar, provided there is no actual fire damage, the vehicle will need to be handle by a certified professional that will disassemble the vehicle and physically clean every part as well as replacing any rubber seals that may have absorbed the smoke. Taking these necessary steps can prevent your insurance company from giving your vehicle a salvage title and help you retain the value of your vehicle.