Q: Should I use Shell semi-synthetic 10W-30 or 10W-40 grade for my 2000 Mitsubishi 1.6 L 4G18 SOHC I4 Engine?

What engine oil should I be using on my car engine. Should I use Shell semi-synthetic 10W-30 or 10W-40 grade for my year 2000 Mitsubishi 1.6 L 4G18 SOHC I4 engine?

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for writing in. There are many different opinions about synthetic vs. conventional vs. blend oils and which one is best suited for each vehicle. To be completely honest, each of them has advantages and disadvantages. For your small 1.6 L Mitsubishi engine with 60,000 miles, I’d suggest using a synthetic or conventional blend (or the semi-synthetic) in a 10W-30 grade. The thinner viscosity will make it easier on your engine during cold weather driving, yet the semi-synthetic blend will help protect the engine components during hot weather periods as well. The key to using a semi-synthetic is making sure to stay on top of routine oil changes; which should be done every 5,000 miles. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to perform an oil change for you.

• Should I use Shell semi-synthetic 10W-30 or 10W-40 grade for my 2000 Mitsubishi 1.6 L 4G18 SOHC I4 Engine?