Q: 1984 Honda Accord stalls when accelerating from a stop

I have a 1984 Honda Accord carbureted with 120,000 miles on it. Sometimes the car stalls when accelerating from a stop or even when parked. The RPM is erratic. No vacuum leaks. What could it be?

This is a problem with your carburetor. It probably needs rebuilding or adjustment. They make rebuild kits for that. Pray that you can buy one of those 80-dollar rebuild kits, take it apart, rebuild it and put it together and fix it.

Because, if not, you are going to need a new carburetor and those carburetors cost a fortune. Now, if it does need a new carburetor, since it’s so old, like here in Texas, those don’t need to have emission standards anymore. So, we go out and we buy these rubber Italian conversion carburetor kits. We put rubber carburetor and they run much better. If you are in the area you can do that, and by all means, do that. You’ll be happy. They run a lot better anyway with the rubber carburetor.

If you would like to have the car inspected in person to verify this issue, a mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home to diagnose the stalling issue and let you know exactly what should be done.

3. 1984 Honda Accord stalls when accelerating from a stop