I have a 2001 BMW 325i. It overheated, engine shut down. ...

Q: I have a 2001 BMW 325i. It overheated, engine shut down. When cooled down (24 hours), while water poured in the reservoir I could

asked by on May 24, 2017

overheated after idle traffic for about twenty minutes on very hot day. engine shut down. towed car. poured water in reservoir, water came straight out. I could see water coming out of large crake on reservoir. Could it me more than the reservoir needing replaced?

I’m not clear on where you see your leak, but if it is in the radiator tank itself, that will mean you at least need a radiator. If the car ran hot until it shut off, there may have been other damage to the engine as well. Many of the 325’s had a problem with a seal where the head gasket meets the front cover and allows coolant to get into the crankcase. You would do well to have this car thoroughly checked out before you operate it again. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your overheating problem and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.