Q: Seat belt sensors malfunction when car sits in heat

When temperatures are above 87 degrees F and my car has been in the sun in an open parking lot while I’m at work, the seat belt sensor malfunctions. I had my seat belt firmly clasped but the seatbelt warning started beeping for 5-10 minutes until the interior temp dropped below 87 degrees (as seen on the dashboard). The seatbelt warning did go off after I turned on the air conditioning and/or opened the window. This problem is ongoing and it has occurred several times in the past also. The seat belt malfunction can be reproduced if my car is in the direct summer sun for a few hours. I’ve learned that airbag sensors can interact with faulty seat belt sensors, so I feel this is a serious safety concern. Can you please tell me what needs to be done to fix this?

Hello. This is caused by the female part of the seat belt failing. The sensor in the receiver fails internally and will usually be susceptible to changes in temperature when it fails. It will need to be tested and replaced with a new unit from the dealer. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the related electrical components and let you know what needs repair.

3. Seat belt sensors malfunction when car sits in heat