Q: Charging system issue - 1991 Mercury Capri

I've got problems with the alternator and the charging system in my car. It would charge normally for a while and then stop. At that point, the electrical components would start malfunctioning, like the headlights that would get dim. I had the battery checked recently and it's working correctly. I figured that the alternator itself might be the problem so I had it replaced. Everything was fine for several days but the problem recurred. I also replaced the corroded plug but that didn't help either. What should I do?

Hello. It sounds like you have a bad connection. If the alternator is fine, then the negative battery connections should be checked. It is common for negative ground connections to become loose or corroded which will cause this. If those are fine, then the wiring from the alternator to the control module need to be tested. If you need this tested, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the charging problem and guide you through repairs.