Q: Electrical problems and power surge?

I’m having electrical problems with my car. The dealer doesn’t know the root cause, and I want to try and fix this myself. I have been reading that most electrical problems are from an alternator with a bad voltage regulator that produces power surges the electrical system can’t handle. I don’t know everything about cars, and I wondered what is the correct voltage regulator to get? Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

A: Your voltage regulator is integral to your ...

Your voltage regulator is integral to your alternator assembly. If the battery is draining because the alternator is not maintaining the charge, the alternator or fuse is a good place to start looking. For further advice, you'll need to be a little more specific with your electrical problems in order to get a more precise solution. However, if you would like to have an expert check the system, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the electrical circuits to ensure proper repairs.