Q: Electrical problems and power surge?

asked by on September 23, 2016

I’m having electrical problems with my car. The dealer doesn’t know the root cause, and I want to try and fix this myself. I have been reading that most electrical problems are from an alternator with a bad voltage regulator that produces power surges the electrical system can’t handle. I don’t know everything about cars, and I wondered what is the correct voltage regulator to get? Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Instrument Voltage Regulator Replacement $204.37 - $364.61 Get a Quote
Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your voltage regulator is integral to your alternator assembly. If the battery is draining because the alternator is not maintaining the charge, the alternator or fuse is a good place to start looking. For further advice, you’ll need to be a little more specific with your electrical problems in order to get a more precise solution. However, if you would like to have an expert check the system, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the electrical circuits to ensure proper repairs.