Q: OBD message "insufficient coolant temp for closed loop"

asked by on February 25, 2017

I replaced sensor with 2 leads but still get message, replaced thermostat but still get message. I'm wondering if the sensor with 1 wire ( for dash gauge??) being faulty would generate the same message ? Gauge is reading on dash but could it still be messing up the ecu ? car seems to run and idle fine!!!!

It appears that your vehicle uses two separate sensors. One would be for the temperature gauge on the dash, while the other one is used for the signal to the control module. The sensor for the control module should be a two wire sensor, appears to mount on the back side of the intake manifold/block. I’m sure you have already checked it, but I would also like to point out that you need to be sure that the coolant is full, or the incorrect reading will be supplied to the control module, even if the sensor is working properly. If you feel you could use some help in identifying and/or repairing the problem, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics available at YourMechanic.com.