Q: oil leak from oil filter housing.

asked by on December 04, 2016

There is ALOT of oil that leaks from the bolts holding the oil filter housing to the engine... i removed the air filter, pulled back the stuff above the power steering reservoir & got good look. With the car off, no oil leaks. When the car is started, BAM! oil rapidly out of the the bolts connecting the housing... it doesnt seem to be THAT difficult a job from reading different blogs. MY concern is having to remove the alternator and the idler belt because i am an "intermediate" level female mechanic, & with little moral support. I have never "torqued" anything, and while i dont believe that is necessary for this job, anything "belt" or alternator sort of makes me nervous. Of course it is the cost of mechanical work that has made me learn the mechanics i have already performed. Id like an opinion on difficulty of work, if theres easier method to remove the housing to replace gasket and o-rings, and if I'm in there, if any other things should be replaced since car is 1994. Thank you

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve Replacement $82.70 - $485.95 Get a Quote

Hi there. There is not much of an easier way to remove the housing. However, look at the situation and look to see what needs to be taken off and what does not need to be taken off. If oil is getting into the air intake, check the positive crankcase vent valve (PCV) and see if its easy to operate. If the valve is covered in oil and the tube is full of oil, then I suggest replacing the PCV valve and cleaning the tube along with the air intake out. If you need further assistance with oil in the air intake, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.