Q: Temp gauge goes up and down

asked by on February 13, 2016

The temp gauge in my car goes up and down. I changed the thermostat, radiator hose, and water pump. It doesn't overheat, but the gauge moves over toward the red and then moves back to cool side. I was told my temperature sensor might be out or bad.

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The temperature sensor is the device used to determine the estimated engine coolant temperature reading. The sensor itself is not always perfect. This device sends a signal to the computer and in some cases, the instrument cluster as well. A loose connection or malfunctioning sensor can sway the values and show an improper reading. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the electrical components to make sure all the connections are good and replace any failing parts