Q: Car sputters, shakes, and check engine light on

started car, drove less than 5 min and stopped at the light then car started sputtering and check engine light came on

A good first step that you can perform is to check the engine for air leaks. Any rubber boot, bellows or vacuum hose that is allowing air to leak in can affect the way the car runs. Whether or not you find an air leak, next you need to read the codes in the engine’s computer. The fact that the check engine light it on tells you that the computer has sensed a fault and stored a code that a technician with a scanner can read to help determine the source of the trouble. If you don’t have the equipment for this or would rather pass the job on to a professional, Your Mechanic can send a technician to your home or office to check out your sputtering problem and make a recommendation for a fix.

3. Q: Car sputters, shakes, and check engine light on