Q: Loud squeal when clutch is depressed.

asked by on November 30, 2016

Loud squeal when clutch is pushed down.

So in the past two weeks or so my clutch has made a very loud squealing noise when I got to shift or start my car. Ive read a little into the issue and there's no problem shifting and there's not slipping when I shift but due to my limited knowledge on cars I need help on how to fix the problem.

Loud noise when using the clutch Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. A squealing clutch can be caused by a few different things, depending on where the noise appears to be coming from. If the clutch is squealing when you depress the pedal then it may be possible that the clutch disc is worn or contaminated. If the clutch disc or pressure plate, located inside of the transmission, become dirty or contaminated they can cause the clutch to make noise when released and engaging. This can happen if a transmission gasket or crankshaft seal leak fluid or oil inside of the transmission, and onto the clutch friction surfaces. The same can happen with a faulty throwout bearing, which is the component that physically contacts the pressure plate to disengage the clutch, and is also located inside the transmission. The transmission would have to be removed and the components inspected in order to verify if this is the case. If the noise appears to be coming from the pedal mechanism itself, it may be possible that the pedal or linkage coming from it need to be lubricated or serviced. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of your squealing noise.