Q: Had the steering rack replaced and now the steering angle sensor is acting up after a front end alignment.

Power steering was getting hard in steering. Had it checked, replaced pump and belt. Found to be the Rack and pinion going bad, Had the Rack replaced by a local mechanic after which the Steering Angle Sensor (ESP/BAS light) and Anti Skid light keeps coming on as well as. Local mechanic took it to Dodge dealership for eval. Dealer said needs knew Steering Angle Sensor. Instructed to get a front end alignment and they ordered sensor. I have done the alignment and am wondering if it should be checked and recalibrated before replacing since it was not done before alignment. Dodge dealer wants $450.00 to replace. I get the feeling they just want to make the sale. $450.00 for 2 hours seems rather much. Thank you.

Hi there. If the codes are coming on for the steering angle due to either the sensor failing or the plug not plugged in all the way. Check the harness on the steering sensor and see if its plugged in. If the harness is plugged in and has not moisture on it, then the sensor has probably failed. You can have the vehicle realigned, but if the sensor has failed, it will not correct its self. I recommend replacing the steering angle sensor. If you need further assistance with the steering angle sensor, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Had the steering rack replaced and now the steering angle sensor is acting up after a front end alignment.