Q: What can affect the view from the rearview camera?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What can affect the view from the rearview camera?

While the rearview camera on your car can help provide better safety when you’re backing up, there are several things that can affect the image quality and view. Here’s what you need to know:

• The view can be dim or distorted in low-light situations.

• Water droplets can distort or block the image.

• High or low temperatures at the lens can distort the image.

• Snow, mud and other debris can block the camera.

• The camera lens can become scratched, which will distort the view.

• Direct sunlight on the camera lens will distort or dim the view.

• Direct, bright light can cause a “smearing” effect.

• Some types of outdoor lighting can make the screen flicker (sodium, mercury and fluorescent lights, for instance).

Tips

• Never rely solely on the rearview camera when backing up. Use your rearview mirror, your side view mirrors and look over your shoulder as well.

• Keep your camera lens clean and free of dirt, mud and other debris.

• Clean the lens with a mild soap and soft cloth.