Q: Car makes grinding sound

The car is making a horrible grinding sound, as if it were a stick shift, and the gears grind while shifting. It is a constant sound as soon as I turn the car on, but it becomes a little better once I accelerate. The sound is worst while idling.

The alternator is one of the most common problems, as is the idler pulley. These would need to be checked to see if this is the noise. The best way to diagnose the problem is to have a mechanic listen to the noise. I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, closely inspect the transmission’s grinding sound, and recommend the best path to repair.

3. Car makes grinding sound