Q: Car jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd

When i accelerate from a full stop I usually punch it, sorry.... I always punch it! There is still good pick-up but when it shifts into 2nd gear it feels as if its been slipping and finally grabs the gears cuz there is a forcefull jerk or lunge that would/is doing a job on the motor mounts if not the entire car. However, occasionally when I make a right turn and step on the gas it doesn't jerk and the acceleration is significantly faster and smoother. Error codes P0420 and p0741 are present

Hi Darren. Thanks for writing in today. Of the two codes you’ve listed, the one that likely is the source of your jerking issue is the P-0741 code. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will set the P0741 diagnostic trouble code when it notices a difference between the rotational speed of the torque converter and the transmission input shaft that is greater than 200 revolutions per minute (RPM). The rotational speed of the torque converter and the transmission shaft should be equal when the torque converter lockup engine engages. If the torque converter RPM and the transmission input shaft RPM are not equal, the required 1:1 ratio has not been achieved, and the P0741 diagnostic trouble code will be set by the PCM as an indication that the torque converter clutch circuit is out of performance or stuck off. I would recommend reading this article, as it will indicate possible sources and repair solutions.

3. Car jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd