Q: Do I have to remove the radiator to replace my alternator?

asked by on October 23, 2016

I'm having a problem replacing my alternator. My question is do I have to remove the radiator to remove and replace.

Hello. My research indicates that there is more than one procedure for removing the alternator. Some procedures do require removing the radiator to access the alternator, however it appears that it can also be done without removing the radiator, if you are careful and do not mind working with tight clearances.

You should be able to remove the alternator from above by removing any components that are blocking access to the alternator, mainly the serpentine belt and the radiator fan shroud. You may also be able to remove the radiator from below, however that would require raising the vehicle, removing the underside engine cover and radiator.

I would take a close look at the alternator, primarily at the components that around the alternator that may be obstructing access to it. Any components obstructing access will have to be loosened or removed in order for the alternator to come out. Try to see if you can determine which method would be personally easier for you to remove the alternator with, from above or below, taking into account the tools you have access to, the amount of experience you have with these types of tasks, and the amount time you have to dedicate to the job.

If you are unsure about whether or not you will be able to do the job without removing the radiator, I would go ahead and just remove the radiator, as that will require more work, but will free up more space and clearance for you to work with.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr