Q: A 500 Transmission is shifting harshly or delayed upon take off. There is no Check Engine or MIL light.

asked by on December 31, 2016

Transmission is harshly or delayed shifting upon take off. The there is no Check Engine or MIL light on at this time. Sometimes when stop at traffic light or stop sign it will suddenly shift down and on take off it will delay up shift. While driving it will shift harshly or suddenly. Need to know if it is the speed output and input sensor failure.

Hi there. Check the downshift solenoid on the transmission. It seems that the solenoid is sticking or not functioning correctly. I recommend servicing the transmission with changing the transmission oil and filter. If there is some dirt or gummy slush in the transmission, by changing the fluid can help make the downshift solenoid work. If you cannot get the transmission to stop suddenly downshifting, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission.