Q: How do you operate the continuously variable transmission?

How do you operate the continuously variable transmission?

If your car is equipped with an automatic transmission rather than a stick shift, you actually have what’s called a continuously variable transmission, or CVT. These are a little different from conventional automatics. Here’s what drivers need to know:

1. First, you can use the transmission like normal. You can select drive, neutral, reverse, park, etc.

2. Second, you can move the shifter over to the Ds setting (Drive Sport). In this setting, you’ll have faster acceleration and a bit more power than what’s available with the standard setting.

3. To cancel Ds shifting, just move the gear selector back over to the right (to the normal gears).

4. Finally, you can operate the transmission manually if you use the shift selector while the gearshift is in Ds mode. This allows you to shift gears up and down manually without the need for a clutch. To activate this, make sure the gearshift is in the Ds range, and then move the shifter up or down (+ or -).

3. How do you operate the continuously variable transmission?