Q: My 2006 Pontiac g6 2.4l is losing fuel pressure and is taking longer to start, also smell gas

asked by on August 05, 2017

Car is taking longer to start. If I turn the key to the on position for a couple seconds before starting it starts fine. I used a fuel pressure gauge and it is losing pressure quick when I turn it off. There is also a gas smell

You will need to have the complete fuel system checked for line or pump leaks to find cause of fuel smell first since you may have a leaking pressure line or top of fuel pump on tank. Once leak is found then get repaired and retest pressure. If no leaks are found then look at fuel tank to see if you see discolored residue on sides of tank indicating leak on top of tank. If no leaks are found then you most likely have a defective fuel pump check valve.